25 September 2007

reach up


Usually, whenever I have trouble updating it's because I can't come up with anything to draw, not because I can't translate my ideas onto paper.
This blog is really doing me a lot of good. It's helped me find ideas. Or, at the very least, become less critical of the ones I had. It helps me stop thinking and just... draw.

I tried a slightly different technique for today's sketch and I'm pretty happy with the result. It's essentially inspired by my friend Dora's sketch with one line.
I've already mentioned my problem with "stalling" while I draw. Whenever I have to draw something slightly more difficult than my usual stuff I have the tendency to go over the same lines again and again (making them look "hairy") while trying to work up the courage to move forward. I think it's one of the main reasons I work so slowly. The "one line" technique really helps with that. It somehow lets another, more subconscious, part of my brain take over and stops me from worrying so much about placing my lines at the precisely correct spot.

1 comment:

BunnyDee said...

As I've said before, this is precisely why I'm waaay excited about this blawg - your other one too, but this one really rocks my boat.

You know I'm a fan - even more than I am a friend, I think - but it gets me that you tend to be too critical about your stuff. Ity *is* about time you got less perfectionistically tense and you just focused on making us happy with your artwork :P

And, yeah, you've actually improved as a result of this, if you ask me. And we get more sketches in the process :)